Hotel de Clisson

Olivier V de Clisson was a powerful Breton lord, and he was a military companion of Bertrand Du Guesclin, who he succeeded as ‘Constable of France’ in 1380 – this position was considered in effect as the head of the army. In this role, the holder also had the right to a proportion of the spoils of war. With these riches, this Breton was able to build a hotel in Paris, and he was also able to furnish it with an abundance of furniture and works of art. Another man of war took possession of these premises in 1556 – François de Lorraine, the Duke of Guise, and the fierce slayer of the Hugonauts. Along with his wife, Anne d’Este, he was able to rebuild and considerably enlarge the property. Le Primatrice, the prestigious Italian artist, was in charge of the interior decoration. After the death of Marie de Guise in 1608, the successors sold the hotel to François de Rohan-Soubise. The wife of this lord, Anne de Rohan-Chabot was the mistress of Louis XIV. From this adulterous relationship, they were able to take a number of opportunities that allowed them to embark on some ambitious projects. Their son, the future Cardinal of Rohan, had his own imposing hotel built right next door. In 1808, these two hotels were acquired by the state. Those named ‘de Clisson,’ ‘de Guise’ and ‘de Soubise’ were entered into the Imperial Archives of Napoléon I, and they were also entered into the National Archives from 1848. A section of the premises has been preserved. On the Rue des Archives, people can still admire the last medieval remains of the building, the fortified gate and its railings.

Image source : http://paris1900.lartnouveau.com/paris03/hotels/l_hotel_%20de_soubise.htm


Agrandir le plan

Hotel Design Secret de Paris

L’Hôtel Design Secret de Paris est un hôtel de charme de 29 chambres, toutes décorées sur l'un des 6 thèmes suivant: Musée d’Orsay, Moulin Rouge, Tour Eiffel, Opéra Garnier, Trocadéro et Atelier d’Artiste.

Share your view !